Asian Americans experience a COVID fatality rate at least 3 times the national average in cities where we make up more than 5% of the population. Xiaoyun and Sarah, who both work in healthcare, join You Peng and Diana to discuss the often unreported healthcare disparities of COVID impact on Asian American communities. We share how we've personally experienced the multifaceted ways in which racism and sinophobia in science and medicine erase and kill Asian Americans--and give lots of practical advice on how to advocate for ourselves as patients. Always get a second opinion and if necessary, ask for a different provider. Hospitals are like any other capitalist business, and that means patients are customers. We have more leverage than we often realize.
Join the Patreon if you enjoyed this episode.
- Asian Americans Facing High COVID-19 Case Fatality
- Ignorance, Orientalism and Sinophobia in Knowledge Production on COVID‐19
- Filipinos on the Frontlines: Our Bodies Are Not Disposable
- COVID Exacts High Toll Among Filipino Nurses
- Black and Brown Skin Signs and Symptoms - “Mind the Gap” by Malone Mukwende
- Systemic racism and U.S. health care
- The Effects of Racism in Medical Education on Students’ Decisions to Practice in Underserved or Minority Communities
- US refuses to join international effort to develop Covid-19 vaccine
- Millions of black people affected by racial bias in health-care algorithms
- Challenging the ethnic pyramid: Golden rules and organisational measures towards a more inclusive work environment
- Perceptions of Factors Associated With Inclusive Work and Learning Environments in Health Care Organizations: A Qualitative Narrative Analysis
- Stanford Hospital second opinion program
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2020). Prevalence of Both Diagnosed and Undiagnosed Diabetes
- BMI cut points to identify at-risk Asian Americans for type 2 diabetes screening. Diabetes Care, 38(1), 150–158
- Incorporating cultural perspectives into diabetes self-management programs for East Asian immigrants: A mixed-study review.Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 18(2), 454–467
- Barriers and facilitators for type-2 diabetes management in South Asians: A systematic review.PlOS One, 10(9), e0136202
- The "battle" of managing language barriers in health care. Clinical pediatrics, 55(14), 1318–1327
EFPA Opening Theme:
- "Fuck Out My Face" by Ayekay
Comments powered by Talkyard.